|It seems Brimpsfield & Brimpsfield Cricket
Club was initially formed in 1906 when it was played under the
captaincy of T Hayward who farmed Birdlip Farm. Records are vague
for this period but is assumed that the team disbanded at the time
of the First World War and not reformed until the late 1920's when
three Partridge brothers, Martin Snr, Nat Snr and Bob Snr, founded
the Club as we know it today.
Upon its reformation the Club played in a field adjacent to the
Cheltenham Road. It then had a ground in Brimpsfield with a few
games played at Nettleton Bottom opposite the Golden Heart. The Club
then moved to it's previous ground at Highgate in 1934. The ground
was lent to the Club by John Kendall who was Club President and
Captained the side from 1934 to 1948 apart intervening years of the
Second World War. Despite leaving the area in 1948 he continue to be
President until his death in 1975. The ground was sold along with
the farm to Gilbert Grinnell and his sons John and Robert, who
kindly let the Club continue to use the ground.
In 1981 the Club was gifted land in Birdlip village by then current
President Wing Commander H M Sinclair, to form it's own cricket
ground. The land was immediately regraded and the 'square' formed
with sowing taking place in the late summer of that year. In
recognition of such a generous gift, which has secured the long term
future of this Club, the ground was named Sinclair Field.
Contraction of the pavilion started in May 1982 on a DIY bases
thanks to members, family and friends. The Club commenced playing at
the Sinclair Field in 1983, with the old tea room from Highgate used
whilst construction continued on the pavilion. In 1985 work was
completed on The Martin J Partridge Pavilion and formally opened by
commentator Peter West on 23rd June. The occasion saw a Club eleven
take on a Gloucestershire Club & Ground XI.
The 50's and 60's BBCC was a formidable team with loses a rare
occasion. The late 60's saw the advent of league cricket and the
Club was one of the early participants in the Stroud League and
spent many years in it's top division. Mid 80's saw the Club expand
to a 2nd XI as new players were attracted to the Club along with
younger players progressing from the junior set up.
The Club's unique emblem of the Silver Fox was derived from the time
when Highgate Farm (previous location) reared and bred these rare
The centre of the cricket square is 950 feet above sea level which
puts as one of the highest ground in the county and probably the
south of the country.